Global Mission

Global Mission
A Heart for His People

Wednesday, August 16, 2017

We Made It!

Yesterday I wasn't sure if this was all going to happen.  I wrote this post before getting the dreaded call that my treatment had been denied by my insurance.  This morning I got the call that I had been praying and hoping for that others had virtually thought would be impossible...but I got approved!

They said, "Your prayers worked."


Well friends, it has been some time since I have shared with you.  I have basically been living life as normal as possible with a brief interruption once every three weeks. In those three weeks I have been going in for Herceptin infusions. I have had a total of 16 of these infusions. Guess what?  1 more to go!!!! The reason I come to share with you is that today I drove to get my lab work done for the last time for treatment.  Tomorrow 8/16/2017 will be my last and final infusion of Herceptin which should finish my active cancer treatment. This whole journey has been one that when I look back on I can barely keep it together.  Even I, can't believe that I just went through everything I have had to go through this year.  When I flash back at pictures and memories my heart takes a deep dive.  So many thoughts and so many emotions, but one thing I am thankful for on the daily is that I am still here, I am still able to be the wife I desire to be and the mother that I am blessed to be.


Who knew having cancer would provide opportunities that I could only dream of...  These past few weeks I have had the honor of doing a few tv related projects revolving around breast cancer.  Along the way I have met some beautiful people who also are walking the same journey as myself.  I had the opportunity to speak on behalf of Glimmer of Hope for Stand Up To Cancer night at PNC park.  I also had the opportunity to do a little tv shoot for Highmark, Allegheny Health Network just basically sharing my story and showcasing how they care for women.  It was a fun opportunity amidst all of this not so fun stuff I've had to go through.


I have been reflecting on my last infusion day and what that will look like.  I knew I would want my family to be there to celebrate but other than that I wasn't so sure.  I then was inspired by another survivor who graciously donated a bell to Magee Womens Hospital and decided that my Cancer Institute needed to have a bell.  I proceeded to have one made, engraved with the popular chemo bell peom...



I never would have imagined that it would have been a struggle to get my center to approve the hanging of this bell, but with lots of prayer and people who believe in me and in celebrating life, we were able to get through the red tape of medical facility politics and get that bell hung up!  They did kind of tuck it away in a more secluded spot but nonetheless it is up! Sooooo tomorrow, 8/16/2017, I will have the honor of being the first to ring the bell and to close the chapter on Chemotherapy. WooooHooooo!
Can you see the bell?

So what is left to be done? On August 30th I will meet again with my plastic surgeon.  There we will schedule and plan for phase 2 of my reconstruction. With my DIEP flap I had immediate reconstruction where my extra fat from my stomach was used to fill in to my new breasts.  I do not have nipples, but the doctors and make me some. So phase 2 will include those.  It will also hopefully include fixing my stomach up a little bit because currently its a little lopsided. My hematoma caused my stomach to bulge on the right side and now is larger on that side than the other.  I also have a final scan to be done to confirm that I am cancer free.  I can't wait for that! Then after that I will hopefully get my port out which is also a minor surgery.  My goal is to get this all done this year so that I can minimize my medical bills next year!!!! Each year cost me at least $7,000 of which I still owe for this year. Painful right?!?!!!!

I am so incredibly thankful for so many of you.  You have gotten me through this year.  You have touched my heart and my family.  You will forever be engraved into my heart for being there for me in my hardest times. God gave me a verse in the beginning of all of this..Exodus 14:14...The Lord will fight for you, you have only to be still.  That verse has carried me through and has taught me so much about true trust and faith in the One who can do it better than me.  He has used all of you to do so much of the fighting so that I could be still.  That stillness allowed me to focus my time and energy on my health and my family. You are all superhero's in my book!

Check back for footage of my final treatment and the RINGING OF THE BELL!  I can't wait!

 All my love,
Amanda

8 comments:

  1. Praise Him every second - Amanda you are a warrior

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori! Thank you for all of your love, prayers and support! It means a lot to me!

      Delete
  2. I understand your feelings well. you ring that Bell woman with gusto!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a Phenomenal Woman and I love you!!! You're an inspiration and your spirit helps to renew my faith. Thank you for showing me what true courage means.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. It's all God! Love you too!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Amanda you are truly my hero. It's been difficult knowing we couldn't be there but you have always been in our prayers. We love you sis! Barnabus has blessed us with updates and pictures of the kids and for that we are very thankful. We will see you soon in Jesus Name!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monique! We love you so very much as well!!!

      Delete