Global Mission

Global Mission
A Heart for His People

Thursday, November 14, 2013

Amanda's Sweets

Here Nnenna and I made a cake for the late Jude Agwuocha on his last birthday.
Today I was reflecting on my little baking adventure.  Three years ago I would have never imagined that people would see me as a "baker."  I have always been one to be in the kitchen. Since childhood, baking chocolate chip cookies was my thing.  In college I would bake for my roomates.  When I first met my husband I used to kick him out of the kitchen because, "I knew what I was doing!" and of course He didn't! During the holidays I would pride myself in baking dozens of cookies to share with friends, teachers, neighbors etc... While living in Nigeria, my husband bought me a small oven and there next to my mother in-laws wood burning stove would be myself baking away cookies on Christmas day for all the village visitors to get a treat!  All of that I saw as me just being myself, a homey, feel good, cozy kind of person who loved to invite others into that world.  Little did  I know that this would turn into something more.
I had baked 3 cakes for Nnenna's 3rd
birthday party in the village!

Three years ago my husband and I returned back to the states after a year in Nigeria.  We learned shortly after that Barnabas' mother was having heart troubles.  We tried to no avail to find someone who could help her.  That was when we learned that a good friend of ours who is a Cardiologist was traveling on a medical mission trip to Cameroon which is the country next to Nigeria.  We so badly wanted that opportunity to send Mama to see Dr. Johansson.  My husband was working different smaller jobs at the time and I was homeschooling for a family and babysitting and doing whatever I could to make ends meet.  We knew we couldn't make it happen on our own.  That was when I decided to make pies for Thanksgiving that people could order and I would save all of the money from that to put towards that project.  Sure enough people gave above and beyond and bought pies and it was glorious!  I was so amazed!  After that people wanted desserts for Christmas and then birthdays and then baby and bridal showers and then weddings and on and on.  I did not make this happen but believe that God has allowed me to have what I need to do this so that I can be a blessing to others in need.

This Thanksgiving I have posted about our project of giving to help Restore Rose, my husbands sister.  Follow previous blogs to learn more.  With that said those that do order from me for Thanksgiving will be assured that this tradition will be carried on.  A portion of proceeds will go towards this project.  If you would like to order a dessert please let me know and I can forward you a menu.  If you make a $100 donation you will recieve a free pie for Thanksgiving.  If you want to just make a donation you can also go to this link to donate directly.  :https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/2dJnc







No comments:

Post a Comment