Global Mission

Global Mission
A Heart for His People

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Mmmm Pies

Did you know that a $100 donation towards our Thanksgiving Project: Restoring Rose qualified you for a free pie from Amanda's Sweets?  This very pie below is going to one of those recipients.  It blesses me to bake for a purpose.  We are still in need of a miracle for Rose.  Please consider making a donation.  Our online goal was 2k but now with the surgery at hand we are in need of about 6k more.  Ah ya...we need a miracle. Please consider giving today!  https://fundrazr.com/campaigns/2dJnc/ab/42BeK1


Like many of you, I am sure your home is smelling sweet with the wonderful baked goods that come with the holiday season.  If not, come on over!  My house has a 24/7 sweet smell of baked goods because this kitchen is nearly never closed!  I don't mind.  Last night I clocked about 4 hrs of sleep.  It just comes with the holiday baking season.  I wanted to share something with you that I don't really ever do. I want to share my pumpkin pie recipe.  Now for those of you out there that are always telling me that your crusts don't turn out pretty, don't stress... I've got a few secrets up my sleeve.


Pumpkin Pie is really a pretty easy pie to make.

Ingredients:
1/8 tsp. cloves
3/4 cup of sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
2 eggs
1 15 oz can of 100% pumpkin (sometimes I use my own pumpkin puree from my very own pumpkins)
1 can of evaporated milk
One pie crust (store bought or homemade)

Baking Instructions:
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F

Mix dry ingredients together in a small bowl.  Set aside
Beat in your mixer the 2 eggs then add the pumpkin. Gradually add your dry ingredients. Slowly mix in your evaporated milk and mix on low or stir until fully incorporated.

Pour into your pie shell.

Here are a few tricks I have to making your pie crusts look pretty:
 Make a double batch of pie crust so that you have plenty of dough to work with.  I hate it when my crust is uneven all around and looks lopsided.  Now one thing I love and I believe it was before Martha Stewart came up with the fabulous idea because I've been doing it long before I heard her chime in about it, is to use festive cookie cutters to cut out pie dough to  line around the edge of my pie.  This way you don't have to worry about how your crust looks because the cookie cutter shapes cover it anyway and it always looks so pretty.

To apply the shapes to the crust use a basting brush and one egg white.  Whisk the egg whites for a few seconds with a fork and then brush your pie crust with the egg whites and then again on your shapes and gently press the shapes onto the edge of your crust.

Bake at 425 for 15 minutes and then reduce temperature to 350 and bake for 40-50 minutes or until it looks cooked.  I know this by shaking my pan a little bit and it doesn't look like liquid still in the center.  Some recipes will tell you to place a knife in the center and if it comes out clean then it is done...but to me that ruins the whole look so I don't follow that one step. Cool for a few hours and then refrigerate until ready to eat.  And of course don't forget the Whipped Cream!

Voila!  You've got Pumpkin Pie!

Happy Baking!






No comments:

Post a Comment